Tuesday, September 6, 2011
A different kind of New Year's Resolutions
On behalf of my colleagues, I have come up with a list of 10 resolutions that we should all consider following this year:
1. I will eat a proper breakfast…no more rushing out the door and grabbing an over-priced, unhealthy snack from an unnamed coffee joint.
2. I will return phone calls, texts, and emails in a timely manner. I will see my friends on a regular basis. No longer will I be a "summertime friend" only.
3. I will really try not to raise my voice. Both of my kids say their favorite teachers are the ones that didn't yell and I seem to recall in Teacher's College learning something about the quieter you talk, the more they will listen. Those of you who know me, know this will be a challenge.
4. I will try my best while coaching cross-country. No longer will I hang with the kids at the very back of the pack, claiming I am making sure they don't get lost.
5. I will try to dress a less Lululemon and a little more Cameron Diaz in Bad Teacher. Say what you will about her teaching style, but her Louboutins kick ass.
6. I will try not to spend my salary on stuff for my classroom, such as even more picture books. Is it normal for an adult to love them this much? Speaking of which, I got the BEST new picture book yesterday for the first day of school...
7. I will go out of my technological comfort zone and learn a couple new things; its embarrassing when I have to ask the kids for help.
8. I will keep my desk clean…or at least bribe a kid to keep my desk clean.
9. I will be in my classroom at least 5 minutes early instead of power walking down the hall like nobody's business (no running allowed!) in the precious few seconds in between the bell ringing and the start of O Canada.
10. I will not forget about my coffee and then choke it down cold an hour too late.
7 down & 20 to go…wish me luck! Class is in session.